February 1, 2018
Japan Pro Gaming License quick translation
Translated from http://chigesoku3.doorblog.jp/archives/52891378.html
It was announced 2018-02-01 that the "Japan ESports Union (herein-to JeSU)" was founded. This is the birth of a new union with cooperation of a variety of existing esports organizations and game maker organizations.
JeSU is involved in running the 2018 Japan Game Party that will be held on Feb. 10th and 11th at Makuhari Messe which will be the first of its kind to host tournaments where pro licenses will be issued.
The definitions and regulations for issuing a pro gamer license have also been announced. A pro license will last for two years, and one will need to attend a class to obtain or renew the license. For existing pro gamers they developed a system of "Issuing licenses to guaranteeing authorities", and it is believed that many fighting game pro players will be able to obtain a license in this manner.
- Pro Gamer Definition
- Has the consciousness of a Professional (tl note: Japanese way of saying "takes it seriously")
- Follows the values of sportsmanship in their play
- Devoted to improving their technical skills on a daily basis (tl note: Only lab monsters allowed? What about players with HEART?)
- Contribute to the growth of e-Sports domestically
- Persons Eligible for License
People fulfilling the qualifications below can be granted a license.
- Those who pledge to uphold the conditions mentioned in the pro gamer definition above
- Those who have obtained excellent results in tournaments that this association has officially recognized for game titles that this association officially recognizes (tl note: no clear definition of what placing is considered good enough)
- Those who have taken the lecture that this association indicates
- License categories (2 types)
- "Japan eSports Pro License"
This license is applicable for those over 15 years old, who have completed their mandatory educational obligation. * People under 20 years old need their guardians' permission.
- "Japan eSports Junior License"
This license is applicable to those between 13 and not yet 15 years of age to whom there would be value in having a license. * They are able to receive non-monetary prizes, but can not receive monetary prizes. * With the agreement of the licensee and their guardian upon reaching age 15 a Pro License can be issued.
- About issuing licenses in non-regular conditions "Issuance of licenses to guarantors of results". To take into account past performance since license issuance begins, we will issue pro licenses or junior licenses to people who have shown exemplary performance in past tournaments for officially recognized titles. * The IP holder will need to agree to the license issuance.
- Treatment of Teams
- Team license issuance.
If a team has an official legal entity, and the IP holder approves, a team license will be issued pending approval of this association. * However, additional rules and regulations along with paperwork will be required.
- If a team has at least one person that holds a license, then that team will be able to participate in officially recognized tournaments. * However, the prize can only be rewarded to the license holder.
- License expiry
- Licenses last for two years. * License renewal will require an e-learning course.
- Management of License Issuance
- Licenses are issued on a per-title basis.
- Based on the three items below, this association steering committee will play the games, and decide on what the eligible titles should be. (tl note: I'm not translating this wrong AFAIK, but man I hope I am wrong.)
- The game itself must have competitive play
- The game must have been on sale for and/or been operating for more than three months.
- The title must be scheduled to appear in tournaments
As of Feb. 1st, 2018, there are the 6 titles for which pro licenses will be issued:
- Winning Eleven 2018 (PS4/PS3 Konami Digital Entertainment)
- Call of Duty World War II (PS4 Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Street Fighter V Arcade Edition (PS4/PC Capcom)
- Tekken 7 (PS4, Xbox One, PC Bandai Namco Entertainment)
- Puzzle and Dragons (ios/Android Gung Ho Online Entertainment)
- Monster Strike (ios/Android Mixi)
CommentsProvide your email address when commenting and Gravatar will provide general portable avatars, and if you haven't signed up with them, a cute procedural avatar with their implementation of Shamus Young's Wavatars.
Comments have now been turned off for this post